Sunday, January 6, 2013
My Dress Forms Debut!!
So I sat down today and decided to get started on my "pin cushion" dress forms. I cut out the fabric and watched the video several times to get the technique down pat for the sewing process.
I learned that sometimes substituting is not an option. I did not have the foam base and used heavy cardboard underneath the dress form. I will be going out to the craft store and getting the foam. I will also be getting some felt that it also calls for and not use lace underneath. It just doesn't stick to the hot glue and the glass candlestick holder.
On the purple one, I used a bracelet to make a belt on the form. I have lots of bracelets that I don't wear anymore. On the floral one, I used an old necklace that I just wrapped around the waist several times. I guess I can use my old jewelry to embellish these ladies!
I also missed a step in the finishing process and that is cutting little niches at the bottom where I glue it to the foam board (in my case the cardboard). I would have had a smoother edge on the bottom. This particular one I trimmed it with some lace.
For my first two I am quite satisfied. It can be tedious with the sewing of the sides and with more practice, I will get it right. I also need to learn to stuff it correctly. I figure I will use my scrap fabric to keep practicing and then I want to go to the fabric store and find some french script fabric. I would really like to make them more shabby/french chic. I also need to go to the thrift store and look for more candlestick holders. They always have them.
On a side note, while making the last form, my glue gun decided to not work! So I needed to use straight pins to hold some of the embellishments on. I guess that doesn't matter as they are supposed to be pin cushions!!! I also want to note that I think I will use a stronger glue other than hot glue to affix the forms to the candlesticks. I think it will make them a bit sturdier if I am going to sell some of these gals.